Marquette Beach Gary

Marquette Beach Gary
Welcome to the Mind of a Poet
www.kelechukwubrnfre.com
www.headfonehustlasmusik.com
www.beautifulsoulgary.com
Kelechukwu on Flickr taken by Benjamin Virgo

She As Light by Kelechukwu "Vinny Roofe Remix" for the S.L.O. Mixtapepress play to hear poem

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Live in Peace or Exist in Pieces

Live in peace or exist in pieces
A simple thesis

The Negro had an affinity for everything other than its own
Thats why they were never respected anywhere not even in their homes

They gave up everything they had to strangers and identified them with their lives
They must have felt that not one of them survived or had any pride

My mind never left them
My manuscript shows it

The history of our victory will be here so our grandchildren can expose it
The relevance of our eloquence is to be judged at a time in the future

We have elevated past the times when we were on the block killing our own
And rejoiced in the atmosphere of recklessness where anyone could shoot ya'

I've seen them prostitute ya' pollute ya' then redistribute ya'
Cut you up silently then blame you for their incisions and charge you for the sutures

I've seen this before, visitors come in and act like they residents
Vilify the citizens then leave once they got enough dead presidents

We are not your stepping stones, this is hallowed ground
We are not your flunkies or less than you ever, how the hell that sound

No matter who pledges allegiance to a stranger over their own
That person will be isolated amongst their people when the stranger is gone

I've traveled the planet and felt at home many places but my depth of perception was limited
No matter how long I stayed I never played like I was not just visiting

I respected the place and expressions and the people
Never tried to make myself seem superior and others inferior

People come into our spaces all of the time and set up shop
Sell us hair, t-shirts and their fair share of food and desserts and what not

Give us mediocre products and tell us that it's what's hot
And we abandon the thought of self reliance in our own spot

See there are no stores available for you and I to purchase on purpose
They'd rather have the whole city abandoned - black buying power makes them nervous

They'd rather have them serve us while they live in other places
So many days I wished I could wake up to some friendly faces

Even the liquor stores are owned by other people nowadays
Order something other than something common and they look at you like "what you say"

They are too good to live in the hood
But the hood is very good to them -this is understood

We fragment into different sets
It seems we still can't get along yet

A time will come when we will be forced to remember and not forget
It is more about your entire people than one specific set

My sister dead, my brother incarcerated
Violence is all around us and concentrated

Now we get blamed for the pistols aim
They adding more police letting go of the firemen mayne

Our property and safety are below the safety of their property
I can burn down a building but if I'm building a burn down they popping me

They full of hypocrisy
Like why you complaining nigga save you change and play the lottery

Its easy to change you situation
You know you could always move

I'll trade you my home in the suburb - they got some nerve
Then they got downtown back and change they mind on their lease and you back to the curb

Jesus may save but the police is here to serve
Allah may be all knowing but wee all don't know what we deserve

Read whatever scripture you got or feel is good for you and you will see they all teach us
We will either live in peace or just exist in pieces

Mere fragments of our full potential
And you know they really got your mind if you think its just incidental

No comments:

Post a Comment